Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts

Advanced

Random Encounter Story

Posted by Neverwashere 
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 12:20PM
Sebastian eyed the clouds, the busy birds trying to find things for their chicks and some sad-looking cows grazing at equally sad-looking grass, and only then paid attention to the human element. Feeling both angry and sad at these sights, he put on a frown.

But things other than sun shine on him; he knew his job was done, and for now at least he was able to enjoy Sylvie's company. He closed his eyes and smiled, taking her hand. "I've asked that same question many a time, love." He looked at the clouds again as they kept dispersing, resuming what was normal weather for the season. He found himself saying quietly, "Did we really happen?" and looking at Sylvie.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 01:07PM
She returned a look of confusion, not entirely sure if that was a rephrasing of the question - the way she remembered it, they, or at least he, had happened to other people. No, he probably meant something else. She smiled and squeezed his hand, even as she looked at the ground in front of her again to not miss a puddle or other obstackle.

"That's the only thing I don't doubt, crazy as it is."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 01:22PM
He really wanted to just pick her up and drag her off the road and share his sentiments. Instead, he walked on, smiling with a slightly vacant stare. "I feel the need to shut up, because I'll be gushing with words otherwise. Ought I?"
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 01:49PM
Sylvie hesitated so long it seemed awkward at least to her. "It feels like I owe you words already, but..." She shrugged, nervous, and fanned a look over the land ahead of them. Some things she'd rather talk about sitting down or otherwise not moving, and not in view of strangers. Oh, might as well. She put on a tilted smile and looked at Sebastian. "Don't want to break out in tears of any kind on the open street."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 01:56PM
"Then I'll keep it to myself to tell you about it later," he said softly, glancing at Sylvie. "And whatever words you have, don't feel like you owe them, all right? In the meantime, know any travel songs? I'd hate for us to just be silent, and... well, I'd just be tempted to say things." He was smiling, even so.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 02:27PM
The sudden change in topic drew a surprised chuckle. "Travel song? Travel song, maybe..." She hummed a melody, quietly, sometimes breaking off and adjusting when the tone seemed too far off, trying to remember enough of the words to not stumble over them all the time. When she thought she had it, she sang in her own language. The melody in her head always evoked images of light reflecting off waves for her, but how it went over with others was another question. She wasn't a good singer, and broke off soon, the second or third time her voice cracked.

"Sorry, I can't do that to you." She cleared her throat and coughed, grinning.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 02:42PM
Sebastian smiled, squeezing her hand a bit tighter for a few seconds. Once she began the melody, the half-elf considered it, waited and never interrupted her until she spoke. "Well, but I liked it," he said sincerely, then searched his mind for songs he'd sang on the road. "Mind... what's that song about?"
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 02:51PM
"Ah, <em>sammeh</em>" - that words had cropped up more than once in the bit she'd sung - "is a white seabird that at least in the stories spends most of his life in the air. The song starts when a young one learns to fly, by plunging off a cliff, and then follows it as it rides the wind from island to island, never touching ground, even sleeping on its wing."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 02:53PM
Five steps in cadence he considered that. "Sort of like me and... isn't it just?"
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 03:00PM
"Ah?" The thought hadn't crossed her mind before; it was simply a song she had heard frequently, and that fit the theme he had asked for. "Well, the bird wasn't pushed. Other than by its nature, I guess." She tried to guess what Sebastian was thinking, but just went with what came to her mind. "The last verse tends to have it start work on a nest."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 03:03PM
Well, that certainly was food for thought. Passing another puddle and heading toward a bend in the road, he said, "I think I got myself into this." Then his steps slowed for a moment, watching Sylvie for a moment. "What would you say if I...?"
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 03:12PM
"If you... what?"
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 03:15PM
He glanced upward at the sky. "If I asked you to call me that, or more or less <em>naming</em> me that?" Sebastian replied, worried Sylvie might take it the wrong way. It felt important, somehow. He was tired of being called all those names by people who had little to do with him or just stuck with the stories. He closed his eyes and waited for backlash.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 03:25PM
"Oh. You did ask me for a new name before, didn't you?" She gave him a look, wondering why he seemed nervous. "I rather like 'Sebastian', but if you want to start over with a new name, I guess Sammeh works, if you like it."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 03:30PM
He looked relieved the moment Sylvie had her say. "Tell you what," the half-elf said, momentarily frowning at the sight of a dead cat. "Let the rest of them call me that. I like how it sounds, but..." He skirted another puddle. "But you, just call me whatever you want? If you like Sebastian, call me Sebastian. And if Fuckwit should suit me, well, you can call me that, too." There was a hint of humour but quite a lot of seriousness to his tone, mixed.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 03:46PM
Sylvie, by contrast sounded impish. "Sebastian for private moments? I could live with that."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 03:49PM
That broke his last and final bastion -- all the nervousness and fear disappeared once the tone of Sylvie's words hit him proper. He bursted into laughter, putting one hand on his knee and pulling Sylvie closer with the next. "Damn you, we could both live with that," he managed between laughs.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 03:54PM
Sylvie leaned her forehead against his temple and said, with emphasis, "But not with people watching." She was grinning, even if they were making a spectacle of themselves already.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 03:58PM
"That... did not help, Sylvie," he chuckled between wheezes. "Damn you," Sebastian continued, still trying to contain himself. It didn't work too well, but he managed to keep his laughter down to snickering as he more or less dragged her along after his outburst.

"The first moment... the first moment we get out of sight, you, pretty little willow, are in deep trouble," Sebastian said playfully, grinning.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 04:58PM
Sylvie lengthened her stride a bit but at the same time pulled back on his hand for him to not overdo the hurrying. At his "threat" she raised an eyebow. "You think?" After a nod and in slightly less impish tone she changed the topic, "So, am I collecting nicknames now, too?"
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 05:32PM
"You might already have," Sebastian said, still grinning. "I shall call you Willow, Poppy, but first and foremost, I'll call you Sylvie. Also, yes, I think you are in trouble."

He did slow down when it came to the pace.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 06:03PM
"How so?" In part, she wanted to make sure they were in the same page here.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 06:10PM
"Because I want to drag you off to the nearest bush and stay there huddled with you for a long time?" Sebastian suggested. "Don't worry, I won't, unless it's favourable in your mind."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 08:17PM
"Well, it's still rather muddy and public. Even if the first turns out unavoidable, the second should at least get less of a problem after nightfall."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 08:21PM
Sebastian chuckled. "But you're not opposed to the idea apparently."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 08:45PM
She put on a baffled expression. "Should I be, now? I thought we agreed there were things to talk about, not in public." There was a tiny wince. In hindsight Sylvie wasn't sure bringing that up again just that moment had been a good idea.
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 09:09PM
"I was flirting with you," Sebastian said with a smile, looked at the path in front of them and flexed his neck, growing more serious. "We're agreed on that. I just... tried to -- I wanted to hear you laugh."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 09:44PM
She sighed, smiling. Voice warm and gentle, she said, "I don't find being in trouble <em>that</em> funny. But thanks for trying."
Random Encounter Story
May 09, 2012 09:50PM
"Trouble is never funny," he murmurred, stubbled cheek against her temple. "In any case... I owe you a song."

Clearing his throat, Sebastian began to sing. It was rhythmical, in a language Sylvie would not have known, but it was quite apparent that he was at least a passable, average singer. Perhaps not good enough to make a career out of it, unless he settled for being a background singer.
Random Encounter Story
May 10, 2012 08:26PM
Partway into the song, Sylvie noticed that both of their steps were falling time with it. She let the melody fill her mind for now, leaving no place for worries. It wasn't complicated, repeating soon - it could go on forever.

Despite the mud sucking on her boots, despite the sheer weirdness of the last few days, despite too many things unsaid, it helped her snatch a while of quiet contentment. That may not have been quite as obvious as all-out laughter, but it still felt good.

She did not say anything, watching the road ahead, wanting to give calmness some time to take root.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login