Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts

Advanced

Random Encounter Story

Posted by Neverwashere 
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 12:32AM
He smiled a little, indicating he wasn't offended or otherwise affected. "It's fine. I see your point. Had there been people prior to the unwanteds... I'm fairly certain it would have turned bloody, although I'm not sure on whose behalf."

Sebastian gave the game a look of surprise and picked some seeds. "When the land is unforgiving, people stick together or they die," he finished.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 01:05AM
Sylvie hissed at Ayu-Asra to let him know she did not appreciate him nipping her fingers. As she made a move, the dragon moved away from her, and settled at one end of the "board". The left head mostly watched Sebastian, the right the shiny, shiny beads.

The line of thought they were following now did not agree with Sylvie. It lead to thoughts of how often when things were not so bad, people instead made things difficult for other people.

Casting around for something else to say, an association lead her to asking, "You can't read my mind, can you?"
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 01:14AM
Sebastian - intrigued by the hissing and the subsequent reaction by Ayu-Asra - blinked first, then gave a short laugh. "No, goodness! Though... I wouldn't even if I could. It's not polite, and hardly necessary," Sebastian said with a relaxed smile, looking at her curiously. What prompted her to ask such a question?
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 01:25AM
She raised an eyebrow and smiled. "Good to know I'm that transparent."

The dragon tried to get some attention by jingling.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 01:34AM
Ayu-Asra had to wait. Sebastian looked a little shocked for about two seconds. Then he shook his head, calmly. The moment he stopped second-guessing people and himself, these things happened. "Nothing of the kind," he said, smiling a little. Then, after a while of staring at her with an expression of uncertainty not unlike that of a perplexed fox kit, he finally asked. "Why?"
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 02:06AM
Sylvie looked at Sebastian smiling sadly. Seemed like that joke had backfired a bit.

"Nothing, really. You just suddenly reminded me of someone I knew, hm, way back when."
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 08:20AM
"Oh," he said in a thoughtful tone, paused and continued. He was sorely tempted to say Oh, so I'm not unique, hmm?, but he thought that may have been a bit too cheeky. "Who were they?" Sebastian asked, smiling and looking back at her as if there hadn't been any confusion or misunderstanding in the first place. If anything, he was contemplating something.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 12:56PM
Sylvie relaxed and hummed thoughtfully.
"She ran, hm, runs a shop and is a bit of a storyteller, and some of her favourite stories dealt with people sticking together against high odds. Her family includes elves and humans. We sometimes joked she could read people's thoughts, but probably she's just very good at reading expressions and such."

Meanwhile, Ayu-Asra was fed up with being ignored, and approached Sebastian, mewling.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 01:14PM
He cooed - instinctively - at Ayu-Asra and extended a hand toward him without a second though. A part of him was ready to toss him the rest of the beads should the dragon prove troublesome. To Sylvie, he didn't know what to say at first. "I guess so. Or perhaps she's one of those people who knows how to put herself in another person's shoes, even those of total strangers. I don't at least think it's the same as reading expressions. Nonetheless, she sounds like a person I might enjoy meeting."
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 01:37PM
The dragon quickly climbed up Sebastian's arm and took position on his shoulder, cooing back. Sylvie watched, hoping Ayu-Asra would be not too much of a nuisance, and was startled by Sebastian's words.

"Well, there's the aforementioned problem of getting to Yrn..." She shook her head and gave a silent chuckle, realising that he probably had not meant it like that.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 01:52PM
Sebastian grinned at the dragon and gave him a single transparent blue bead from the pouch. "I said I might enjoy meeting her... but I did expect there to be a hurdle or two in the way. Maybe something like that. But I just meant that she sounds like a good person - and good people are always worth meeting." He thought about those Eodean elves. Perhaps he should he have thought to ask. Ah well. "Even if it takes a concussion, hm?"
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 02:10PM
Sylvie chuckled, just a bit abashed.

"You know that you shouldn't try that trick too often, yes? It might shake up your poor head for good..." she warned jokingly.

Ayu-Asra was in two minds about who should get the bead, which led to a short scuffle and both the bead and the dragon slipping down Sebastian's back.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 02:19PM
The half-elf's mouth was an o-shape for a moment as the dragon and bead went down. When they came to a rest, the half-elf turned a white grin over his shoulder. He just gave an amused chuckle in the end as he looked back to Sylvie from the dragon. "Ah, well, I'll do my best not to," he said gravely, although his expression was far too playful and boyish. With a face made for a happy person, it was hard to feign seriousness. "Although I have to admit, it was probably very funny," he then said, thoughtfully. That and a little embarrassing.

Um. Lots embarrassing.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 02:34PM
"I guess if there was a funny bit, it happened before I arrived. The situation seemed mostly confusing to me," Sylvie answered.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 02:46PM
"Me too," he said and beamed.

Then he made a move on the board again, watching that for a while. "I must admit that I'm not used to receiving help from strangers," Sebastian continued and raised his eyes, face still tilted toward the board. "Do you patch people up often?"
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 03:11PM
Sylvie grinned at his answer, but shrugged and frowned slighlty hearing the question, for no reason she could name uncomfortable with the topic.

"Sometimes. It depends on the circumstances.

"Are you more used to running into trouble with strangers?"
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 03:29PM
He kept smiling. "I'm more used to being watched from a distance. After all, the natives think that I am the stranger. It's more likely they'll think of me as the trouble."
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 03:36PM
Sylvie sighed. "Yes. It's sad people have reason to assume perfeclty harmless and friendly people like, for example, we are going to cause trouble." You had to turn it into a joke, or else go mad.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 03:41PM
For a moment, Sebastian couldn't do anything but look at Sylvie amusedly, his smile growing. The wording was pure pleasure.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 03:50PM
Sylvie smiled back and nodded to herself. Better.

Since she didn't want to spout some half-baked comment again, and nothing sensible suggested itself, Sylvie turned her attention to the game.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 04:18PM
For one reason or another, he came up with the same response and, instead, watched the last of the game unfold. However better he felt he had done this time, Sebastian was still one seed behind in the final score, but seemed happy nonetheless as he collected the beads back into the pouch (thinking twice about the bead he had given to Ayu-Asra as a distraction). "Well, grand schemes foiled again," Sebastian said chipperly.

He cast a look at the dragon, then at the sky when a lost thought came back to him. The days were long, yes, but time was going at a tolerably fast pace indeed. "I think I could get started with finding food, as well," the half-elf sighed as he put the pouch safely in his satchel again.

As an afterthought, he paused and had a look at the dragon.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 04:47PM
"Good idea." Some activity that would also mean some time for thoughts to settle down.

Half the dragon looked back, while the other head picked up the bead, careful not to swallow it. Ayu-Asra trotted off to look for a safe place to stash the little treasure.

Sylvie got up and dusted off her legs. "He's perfectly able to find food for himself, just lazy when given the chance. He's an opportunist." She sat down on a rock and put on her boots. "I'll excuse myself for a moment, and then see what I can come up with."
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 05:13PM
Aren't we all opportunists? Sebastian mused as he watched the dragon go. "Mm. I see... and all right," he said and dragged the satchel closer to the fire. He went through a list of things inside his head, including the contents of his satchel. He discarded the thought of more fish and considered, for a moment, if he could find something else.

In the meantime the half-elf decided to stay put as it looked as if both Sylvie and Ayu-Asra were already going somewhere. With the tiniest of shrugs, he sat down, shook the sand off his feet and began to pull his boots on. His next step was to rummage through his satchel.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 08:19PM
A little later Sylvie thought about the conversation.

It had brought memories of home to the surface, which brought with them a mix of fondness and homesickness. On the whole, the talk left her more relaxed when considering the subject than before. It was the way Sebastian listened. Neither with the self-absorbed curiosity she'd found in some scholars, nor with disbelief, but with interest.

She couldn't imagine how Sebastian felt, with no chance of returning home, but she really couldn't ask that. All in all, she hoped they were finished with that topic.

Well, she should better concentrate on finding something edible.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 09:16PM
Sebastian had snuck off the beach about as fast as he had appeared, but the presence of a lone hat lying on the sand was something of a promise that he would be back. The satchel he hadn't dared leave behind (keeping in mind what Sylvie had said about Ayu-Asra's habits).

Presently he was sitting unmoving on the base of a tree, considering the discussion and game. In his hand was a mushroom he knew to be rather plain in taste but perfectly edible. His view of the conversation was simpler than Sylvie's, although he recognised some boundaries. All in all and much to his surprise, he enjoyed letting his guard down around someone. Enjoyment was all right with him, and making it too complex was never worth the trouble. He wasn't without his worries, of course, but Sylvie was made of sterner stuff than some glassjawed backwater idiot with the mental and emotional fortitude of a newt.

Calling ourselves names again, eh?

The game reviewed in his head with some fascination. Hands on experience usually taught him just as well as listening - simply thinking about things wasn't enough, he mused and picked up a smooth rock roughly the size of his palm. The pattern was getting clearer, but he supposed he would have to play against himself a few rounds to really figure it out. He was especially interested in Sylvie's habit of picking from the first pit every time... or was it just every time her opponent started?

Oh well, he mused and tossed the rock over to the left, stood up and got ready to find some berries. He had a craving for some sw--

From the left came a rustle and a wounded birdlike whistle.

Sebastian gave a tremendous sigh and facepalmed.

He returned to camp with a grouse, wondering how he was going to explain this particular stroke of luck without sounding too stupid. At the same time he was a little disappointed that the local chestnuts weren't edible yet. Nonetheless, now that he had a dead bird, there was the matter of getting it ready to eat. It turned out that plucking the feathers off the grouse was more relaxing than he remembered.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 10:07PM
The first to join him was the dragon, who first sniffed some of the flying feathers, and then watched Sebastian, perfectly still.

Sylvie returned a bit later. Her crop consisted mostly of caraway; the roots were quite good cooked.

Seeing what Sebastian had there gave her a bit of a stop, but she just said, "Impressive."
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 10:17PM
The only response he could think of was to look at her and grin embarrassedly. Oh, but a stroke of luck, you understand, a part of him would have said. The rest was a cacophony, and as there was nothing to say about that, Sebastian turned back to the task at hand. "I picked up a few mushrooms too," he heard himself say. Well. It was better than the first thing.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 10:37PM
Ayu-Asra gave Sylvie a look, but then turned back again. Bird was way better than greens.

She stood there for a few moments on the brink of asking Sebastian if he was all right, but finally decided against it.

"And I've got some vegetables. No idea if it's supposed to go together well, but I guess we'll see." She went to wash her hands and the plants and prepare the latter.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 10:52PM
"I think it will," Sebastian said as he got over his moment of embarrassment. It was surprisingly easy to just let go and relax after clinging on to uncertainty. He wasn't complaining at all, although... he wondered how things would turn out once they got to Canyet. Oh, yeah, that'd be interesting. Darn.

You mean, damned, he admonished himself.

The very next moment he wondered if being quiet was actually... more natural.
Random Encounter Story
February 19, 2007 11:26PM
Sylvie worked quietly. Having to concentrate on handling a sharp knife gave you a decent excuse not to worry about other things.

Then they'd need a bigger fire...

She really wished she either knew Sebastian longer, or could think of anything trivial to talk about. But then, there was always that.

"Do you think the weather will hold for a bit yet?"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login