Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts

Advanced

Random Encounter Story

Posted by Neverwashere 
Random Encounter Story
April 19, 2012 10:15PM
Auker, for one, agreed. Jon burped and stood up. "Well. I agree with that. So, these contingencies?"

Sebastian bit his lip in contemplation, glancing at Sylvie's hand-rubbing gesture. He was soon watching Kord, Auker and Jon again. The dragon, well, he didn't seem destructive of stuff he hoarded, so... "Well, Jon. I'd appreciate it if you'd manage to figure out some hiding places for people if those two jokers decide to get greedy. Kord, you've already handled your contingencies at least?"

"If by that you mean, have the twins hide them someplace safe? Yes."

Jon, swaying a little, gave his bit some thought. Auker seemed disturbingly sober and woken up -- how? "Well, there's always hovels. Maybe Kord might want to hide people if need be, too?"

The thought at first displeased Kord, before Auker added wryly: "You can make them work for their food."

That brightened Kord's day quite a bit.
Random Encounter Story
April 19, 2012 10:41PM
She could figure out that the "two jokers" were probably Robare and Ramend, but was a bit foggier on the rest. "Who all might needs hiding?" she asked, a bit distracted because she was also trying to distract the dragon from his hoard with quiet fingersnapping. She'd known him longer and had a better idea of how destructive he could get.
Random Encounter Story
April 19, 2012 10:49PM
"Us two, to begin with," Sebastian said, looking at Sylvie with a faintly troubled expression. "I don't want to take any..." Auker raised her eyebrows, as if to finish his sentence, but he continued. "You know. It's just that if the Gold Coin or the Jackites decide they don't like me, I suspect they'll try to get to me either directly or through you. Or, and I hope this doesn't happen, Ludovic catches wind of what's been going on."

Kord said nothing. It didn't seem the place for gruff talk. Auker, on the other hand... "That's a risk," she commented.

Sebastian on the other hand began to look slightly melancholy.
Random Encounter Story
April 19, 2012 11:02PM
There was a little painful spark of guilt, making her want to apologise, but it flickered and died quickly. She had been useful, damn it.

Eyebrows drawn down in concentration she tried to think of who else. "If Ludovic finds out I was involved, he might cause trouble at Old Ivy. Is that why you asked for the Tin Coin to have eyes on them?" Maybe they should have been more careful at the artisan's shop earlier? Too late now.
Random Encounter Story
April 19, 2012 11:28PM
"For that reason exactly," Sebastian said with a faint smile and equally faint voice, favouring Jon with a certain kind of look. "Thank you for that, by the way."

Jon merely nodded. He really didn't seem at all terrified of Sebastian.

Then the half-elf looked at Sylvie again, considering her at length. He badly, sorely wanted to tell her this was what his life had been for a long while, but then it occurred to him that she might even understand.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 08:35AM
Her backbrain had put together the hints to that effect; her one clear thought on the matter was that working alone would certainly have made it easier to hide or run when things went bad.

She found a smile for Jon. "Yes, thank you."

The next moment she lunged, hissing like a cat. It would have brought her nose-to-noses with Ayu-Asra, if the dragon hadn't fled to Auker's shoulder. Ayu-Asra had been trying to drag Sebastian's diary by one cover; now, handling it carefully, Sylvie closed it and moved it closer to the edge of the table, in the same movement as sitting down herself.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 09:39AM
"Oh, if you'll just remember me warmly in the fut--," Jon began but, just like Kord and (especially) Auker (who stumbled back a few steps), looked utterly startled at Sylvie's course of action. Sebastian, for his part, reacted only with a twitch of an ear and a tilt of the head. "Thank you, Sylvie. Would you happen to have a spare satchel, sister?"
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 09:46AM
Well, it worked. One of Ayu-Asra's jeads gave very quiet hisses, the other tweeted nervously, while he held on to Auker's shoulder. Sylvie just continued glaring at him. Her own diary was tangled up in her mind with finding a way home, making it the item she was most attached to.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 09:49AM
"Uh," said Auker. "Yeah, sure..." She hurried away, clutching the dragon.

Sebastian couldn't help but say what was on his mind concerning <em>that</em>. "He's a bit of a mama's boy, isn't he."
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 09:54AM
"A bit," she sighed, relaxing. "If Auker wants to keep him, and he wants to stay, they're welcome to it. Might leave all three of us happier." She gave Sebastian a short look that, if you paid close attention, carried some amusement.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 10:01AM
He widened his eyes much to the same effect as that short look. "Oh, come now. You'd break his heart if he heard that," he retorted, then was cut off by a <em>hrrmph</em>.

"I've got plenty of places in mind for hiding. No problem getting them set up even if you show up before we've stocked them, because I'm assuming you know how to forage," Kord said stiffly, staring at the two of them. "Jon, well, he's always got some ditch somewhere..."

"Rude of you," Jon said. "I'd never sleep in a ditch."
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 10:13AM
While Kord spoke, Sylvie took a deep breath, straightened up, and put on a smile. Manners, manners. She nodded to Kord's assumption, smile growing more genuine.

<em>I've slept in plenty of ditches over the last few years.</em> Though right now, that might be too damp for comfort.

"Thank you."
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 10:56AM
Sebastian was about to say the same, but Kord utterly ignored him, favouring Sylvie with a nod. "Least we can do. Don't let it be said hospitality's dead in the country -- and in the city," he added after Jon chuckled. The old man settled his hands on his stomach and twiddled his thumbs. "Ditches aren't so bad if they're dry," Kord even admitted.

Sebastian kept quiet, where as Jon gave a minute shrug. "Even the poor live somewhere, young man. I'm sorry you've had to live in ditches."

The half-elf bit his lip, examining the two other men and ignoring the loud muttering and cursing from outside the kitchen. Auker clearly wasn't having an easy time of it, and bearing in mind what she'd gone to fetch, he approached his belongings and tried to look as though he didn't almost know Kord and Jon were just teasing each other.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 01:03PM
She hoped the cursing had other reasons than the dragon, but there were other things to worry about. For example feeling like she had missed a meeting everybody else had been at. "So what's the idea now? Heads down, see to it no-one gets hurt, and wait what happens?" The question was mostly directed at Sebastian.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 02:24PM
"Simply put, yes. But heads down doesn't mean cowering, like you pointed out, it means... uh... well." He had the decency to look a little nervous about saying the next bit. "Being right behind them with a blunt instrument if need be. We happen to be the blunt instrument." Kord, finally, had trouble looking like he didn't want to laugh. Jon raised an eyebrow placid-like, whilst Sebastian shrugged. "But yes."

Auker emerged with a satchel. She was talking to Ayu-Asra in clipped, military tones.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 02:39PM
"Or possibly sharp and twisty," Sylvie said. And she had a question for the other three. "Did Garren and Riya say anything we should know?"

Ayu-Asra was playing cute, keeping his heads low and imitating quiet birdsong.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 06:09PM
Sebastian deigned not to answer aside from a petite smirk. He usually did favour blunt instruments, aside from... certain sharpish ones. But, she had a point with her question, one that had Auker just drop the satchel and mutter one last profound expletive at Ayu-Asra (Sebastian hoped it would not stick in his memory). "Yeah, well. Riya at least said something about being a bit more tight-lipped. What's that about?"

The others nodded. "There's one bit. Garren said that if he were to be dragged into court, he'd tell everything as he knows it. All and everything. Didn't seem the kind to lie," Kord said.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 06:25PM
Sylvie nodded silently. You couldn't really ask more than that.

"I think that means Riya will not start spreading word immediately. And keep in mind the order of not letting on who's involved." She looked at Sebastian. "You could have told me you wanted to keep it secret you were involved. You don't expect that to work in the long run, though, do you?"
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 06:33PM
He tilted his head slightly, not exactly looking conflicted, annoyed or anything like that. On the whole, the half-elf did feel conflicted -- only. In the end, Sebastian said, quietly: "No, not ever since we first told them of the whole matter."
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 06:54PM
"Right." Had she made a mistake when she'd pushed for telling them? On the other hand, cause and effect should go both ways there. She smiled wrily. "That was when we heard there were already rumours about the Old Lady's Eldest being in the area going around outside the city, too," she said with a look at Kord. "And between those and Robare and his colleagues next door..." She shrugged, smile failing, and watched Sebastian. "Just a matter of time."
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 07:21PM
<em>Oh thank the Ladies.</em> Sebastian stared at her for a moment, stock still like he had been in his room at House Crow the last time. This was unbearable. It just simply and utterly was. He took a step forward toward Sylvie, then another, until he was right in front of her. "It always is." And then, in the other language that the three others didn't know. "I don't know if you'll hit me upside the head if I apologise." This bit of foreign language sent eyebrows toward the roof from the three others.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 07:38PM
It took her a moment to understand, at which point her smile recovered. She answered in the same language, "You get your head rattled more than enough already." Then she switched to the local tongue again. "You could try being a bit less confusing." She wasn't offended, just, as she'd said, confused. And teasing him a little.

Ayu-Asra started climbing down Auker's sleeve towards the table.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 07:46PM
A moment of silence and another <em>oh thank the Ladies</em> happened before Sebastian bursted into laughter and made to latch his arms around Sylvie. Then, in the same language, he said: "I'll keep you for good, damn you."

Auker, Kord and Jon looked at each other.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 07:58PM
She got up to hug him back with one arm, chuckling. The other hand poked a pointer in his ribs. "<em>Less</em> confusing, I said."
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 09:43PM
"I'm trying. Forgive me if I'm happy that I didn't get my head torn off. I promise you I'll be more concise in the future and tell you how I think things might go. Just please tell me how to be less confusing, and I'll do it."

Auker, on the other hand, looked at the others and began to stuff Sebastian's belongings into the satchel. It looked (and was) military issue. Kord was actually blushing, as was Jon. The latter could blame his blush to the booze he had drank.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 09:58PM
"Generally speaking, putting more of your train of thought into spoken words might do it. Maybe." She would have loved to know what brought his current behaviour on, but considering the audience, tried to steer things back on track. "So, soon or later word will get out that you're involved." Her, too. She stood out here so a fitting description was all too simple. "What then?"

Meanwhile Ayu-Asra snatched at things Auker moved.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 10:03PM
"Point taken," he continued. Explaining why he was so relieved was one thing altogether. Still, he put on a look of contemplation. "I'll try. That's all I can promise. But yes, sooner or later they'll learn I'm involved and that I have a red-haired foreigner with me. When that happens, it's best to either hide and wait for a chance -- most likely during the night -- to act, or use disguises."

"Hey!" Auker yelled at the dragon, shoving things into the satchel.
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 10:12PM
The dragon shrank back momentarily and after some fidgeting slunk off to look for pastry crumbs.

"Do you have any plans about that acting already, or does it depend too much on what happens meanwhile?"
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 10:18PM
Auker snorted and glared at the dragon. But just a moment later she said something about yummy food, proving that she wasn't all that bad a person.

"I'd like to know, too," Kord said. "If you're going on some sort of whim like you're renowned for... heh."

When did they ever learn? Sebastian rubbed his eyes and turned to look at Kord, eyes squinted. Then he relaxed and sighed. "I wouldn't like to say this, but it depends on what happens. I'm going to... how do I explain this? It's aggressive defense. The moment someone makes a move, they're where we can kick back effectively. That's how someone explained it to me, in general."
Random Encounter Story
April 20, 2012 10:53PM
"Sounds familiar. I heard similar advice on fighting when cornered."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login