Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts

Advanced

Random Encounter Story

Posted by Neverwashere 
Random Encounter Story
April 21, 2012 02:20PM
"That's a bit different," Auker said and grinned. "He's basically just using fancy words to describe an ambush. Or backstabbing someone."

"One day I'll want to know what company you served with," Sebastian muttered.
Random Encounter Story
April 21, 2012 02:41PM
Sylvie frowned a little for a moment but said, "All right." Nothing wrong with setting a trap for someone in case they'd try to attack you, after all. "That's then. Back to now. Anything useful we can do while waiting what the Gold Coin and Jackites decide?"
Random Encounter Story
April 21, 2012 08:09PM
As could be expected, Sebastian would have had an answer to that, but he kept his peace. Instead, he simply kept collecting his belongings into this new satchel of his, thinking of the times he had spent with his last one. Oh well, maybe Brice might find more use for it than he ever would.

Auker was the first the speak, shrugging and eyeing her booze cabinet wistfully. "Jon?"

"Ears open," the old man said. "Say...?"

"No," said Auker. "Me, I want a nap. I haven't slept until now. Kord, your folk know what they do. Mind sitting around and wake me up, unless that twisty person and his girlfri--"

"Auker," Sebastian said blandly. It worked, anyway. "Go get your nap. Rosz is already taking his, which reminds me to tell you to not harass him that much. Personally, I'd like to just sit around and wait, but I'm just as stumped. Right now the best thing I can think of is... ah. Yes. Jon? Would your people mind delivering word to Brannig's place that some people have something of Langoll's for him to have a look at?"

"Well," Auker said, eyes bloodshot from lack of sleep and alcohol, "why not just call on Montmore?"
Random Encounter Story
April 21, 2012 08:20PM
"We first thought of Brannig because he's supposed to be the local expert on artifacts. On the other hand, Montmore is in town now, and I still have books to return to him, anyway." She was in a rather cheerful mood.
Random Encounter Story
April 21, 2012 11:31PM
"Yeah, psht. See, thing is, Montmore's big nob though he doesn't act it. Savant, whatever, conversant in a lot of things. Plus connections. Brannig's a bookworm, not that Monty isn't, but Monty's at least a cheerful sort."

Sebastian thought about Auker's words for a moment. He sincerely hoped Montmore didn't follow legends, but that casual mention of connections and general knowledge was more or less enough to make the half-elf a bit more than wary. He looked at Sylvie, one eyebrow raised. There was a hint of something that Sebastian had to admit: "Brannig may be a day or two away. Do you think Montmore can be trusted?"

"Psht!" repeated Auker.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 03:31PM
"Brannig may be a <em>week</em> or two away," Sylvie said. "It was a one-week-to-get-there trip, and I don't know how long he's going to stay."
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 03:45PM
"Oh dear," Sebastian said with the conviction of a man who knew he had no other choice -- his expression was akin to someone who dearly wished not to have his tooth pulled out. "No other choice then."

"Thought so," Auker said triumphantly.

Sebastian looked at Sylvie.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 03:57PM
"I found him likeable, which isn't the same, but..." She gave him a half-shrug and a smile. <em>Seems to have worked out all right in your case.</em>
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 07:09PM
There really was no argument against that -- something Sebastian certainly wasn't used to, considering that in the past he had been able to bullshit or confuse his way to a path he considered desirable. Even though he knew he had no choice, a part of him truly wanted to argue over it, but this time, however, the half-elf ended up staring at Sylvie before his lips started to twitch.

He was having a hard time stifling a chuckle.

"All right," Sebastian finally said. "Who wants to go and ask for him to come over?"

"Well, Rosz--"

"No. But thank you for volunteering," Sebastian said, getting some of his whim back at least. "You know the way, correct?"

Auker looked confused.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 07:22PM
"I know the way, too. And I had some sleep last night." Besides, she felt like she owed Auker for watching Ayu-Asra.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 07:25PM
Auker looked at Sylvie and Sebastian one at time. "Okay. I'll take you up on that," she said, glaring at Sebastian. "Are you trying to prove a point?"

"Yes. No. Maybe. You decide. Mind, I'm going with Sylvie. What are the rest of you going to do?"

"I might opt for a nap myself," said Jon, glancing at Kord. "You, brother Kord?"

"Keep an eye out apparently," the giant grumbled.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 07:34PM
"Thank you." Sylvie had a look at Ayu-Asra, who was licking the edge of the table near Jon and paying her no attention. "If the dragon starts bothering you, hissing helps best." She turned to Sebastian. "I'd pick up the books first."
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 07:50PM
Jon turned to look at the dragon, again appraising his value. This time as a finder of shiny and perhaps valuable things. "Like a cat, I see. All right. I think Kord would know all about cats." Said person indicated only gruff annoyance, especially when Auker shrugged and stumbled back toward her office again with utterances to the effect of "wake me up if anything happens".

Sebastian on the other hand nodded back at Sylvie. "I concur. They <em>are</em> where I think they are?" he asked, trying to find a comfortable position for his new satchel. With a twinkle in his eyes, he palmed something from there and showed it to Sylvie; it was a comb.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 08:11PM
"Old Ivy, yes." The comb drew a chuckle. Sylvie didn't care what Kord and Jon thought about that. She bade Kord and Jon goodbye before leaving.

Out in the light she kept an eye on Sebastian in case he had something important to say. She was still amused.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 08:20PM
The half-elf didn't even bother saying 'bye' to the men, but once they were outside he raised an eyebrow, looking somewhat amused himself. "All right, you. You're in a good mood. I hope there's a reason," he almost purred.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 08:27PM
"You." She chuckled. "I have no idea what brought that outburst on, but, yes, that did something."
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 08:42PM
<em>Bang.</em> There it was again, the hammering inside his mind. Why couldn't it be bells or something? A grin split his angular face. "Flatterer. I'll have to add that to my list of things to make up for later," Sebastian said teasingly, smirking. "You know, unless events unfold dramatically, we'll have quite a bit of time at hand. That said... well, I'm sorry, but we need to discuss this. Do you think I ought to show my face inside Old Ivy? I don't want to cause any more distress to Gemma." The way he said it, it sounded perfectly honest -- and a bit guilty, too. The half-elf, arm around Sylvie's shoulders, looked it too. He really didn't want to distress the matron of the house.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 08:56PM
"She'd heard meanwhile that what we told them yesterday evening was true." Sylvie considered that for a bit. "I would think disgruntlement would be more likely than distress." Was that better?
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 08:59PM
It probably wasn't, but Sebastian shrugged philosophically. "Never mind. I'll wait at the door and if she gives me permission to enter, I will. If she doesn't, I did say I wouldn't set foot inside if they so wished."
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 09:17PM
Picturing him hovering at the threshold - not entirely seriously - she said, "Now that's twisty."
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 09:19PM
"I'm known for that sort of thing, but at least I can be polite about it?" he suggested.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 09:29PM
"Polite would be good, yes." Yes, still, or again, amused.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 09:32PM
"Oh," he said, putting on a deliberately sauced up look of innocence. "I think I can do that. I think?"
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 09:37PM
"I'm sure you'll manage."
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 09:40PM
"I'm glad someone believes me in me," he said chipperly, squeezing her closer to him as they walked.

But before long, they were there and -- as luck (that bitch) would have it, it was once again Riya facing them. She was cursing like a sailor as she struggled with the tarpaulin that had been set up next to the walls of Old Ivy. Sebastian again wondered if the girl would not have had a future in making sailors blanch.

"Motherf--!"
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 10:16PM
Sylvie gave Sebastian a nod - come, let's lend a hand - and walked into the yard Riya had started to uncover. "Here, let me get those knots."
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 10:23PM
The nod was scarcely needed, but appreciated at the very least. Sebastian was all too happy to help, even though the cursing young harridan twitched upon seeing them. "Yeah, thanks," Riya began. "You, tall guy, mind making sure this thing doesn't fall on us?"

"Certainly. I'll bet you it'll fall on me instead," Sebastian said light-heartedly, face serious. The whole mess just might fall on him, for all he knew. But the entire thing went without a hitch, and the entire set that had been protecting the ground was soon being rolled up and tucked into neat packages. Eventually, Sebastian at least let out a brief sigh of relief.

It didn't last long. "Thanks, Fox."

He turned to stare at Riya, eyes wide.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 10:29PM
"How about we stick with 'Sebastian'?" Sylvie said placidly.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 10:33PM
Said person only blinked, whereas Riya looked at Sylvie as if she was somewhat ready to pick a fight. "What does he care? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't really seem to have a name."

Sebastian began to a raise a finger, as if to say something, but again fell short of words. He did look a little angry, though, but sheer politeness and the knowledge that he'd lied enough to the inhabitants of this house tied his tongue. He turned to look at the gate, the way they had come from. It was just too damn true.
Random Encounter Story
April 22, 2012 10:40PM
Sylvie looked at Riya taken aback and, moreso, confused. "It's what he calls himself most of the time. Are people here born with names?"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login